Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer Television: 90's nostalgia

Summer has officially begun. I know this not because of the return of my freckles, or the increasingly drastic difference of the tone of my skin on my arm as compared to my stomach, or the dreadful heat, but because of the return of the frosted-tipped, wise-cracking Pacey Witter.

At approximately this time last year myself and a friend decided to watch Dawson's Creek for the sole reason that Joshua Jackson of Fringe was in it. That's still a pretty good reason if you ask me. As I eased in to the angst-filled, bowling-shirt-ridden show, I began to feel this ridiculous sense of nostalgia for the 90's. I felt like I could have fit right in. I mean, you obviously didn't need any sense of fashion, ill-fitting clothes and mis-matched patterns were the norm. I could work with that. What still fascinates me about the clothes of the nineties was a lady's ability to wear a shirt that was both too large and too short at the same time.

This summer I'm also continuing my way through three other 90's shows; The X-Files, Felicity, and Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Now I probably won't finish them all by the end of the summer but when I do have time to have a  good television marathon, these will be my go-to shows. There is something about television from the nineties that attracts me to it. Perhaps its the awkward phase of style where the eighties faded away and all that remained were some reject patterns and the left-over plus size shirts. Or maybe it's the cheesy dialogue that seemed so much more abundant during this decade. Of course I was too young to determine if this on-screen cheesiness was as apparent in every day life.

After all this nostalgia and interest that these shows have brought up in me, I believe that one of my favourite things that they all have in common is the lighting, colouring and overall tone. It's as if the nineties had their own colour palette. In fact I believe all decades or time periods do. And if you can think in terms of colour palettes then perhaps you get why I love that of the nineties. Or maybe you think the colours were gross, that's a possibility too.

It's strange how these shows can make me nostalgic for a time that I really don't have that much recollection of. Seven years is a long time sure, but they are not that useful for keeping memories when they're the first seven years of your life.

1 comment:

  1. YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT SHIRTS THAT ARE TOO LARGE YET TOO SHORT!

    ReplyDelete