Friday, August 12, 2011

BEDA Day 11: Not So Blank Slate

I realize this is technically late but I'm still abiding by my before I go to sleep rule. Basically as long as I write a post for every day in August I'm good. I'm a cheater I know.

I just got back from seeing Crazy, Stupid, Love with a best friend of mine who I'm not going to see until Christmas and I was originally going to write a review but then I watched the latest video from a YouTuber named Luke (username: imbitingmytongue) and naturally I commented on his very thoughtful video but then my comment was way to long so I decided to turn it into this blog post. (Cool story bro.)

He talked about going to new places and actually feeling more comfortable. I feel the same way. Maybe it's just because I'm from a small town then I moved to another slightly larger town. I don't want to say I got tired of the people or the place because I didn't I just love the feeling of going somewhere new even if it's just for a short time. The feeling of  not knowing anyone is unsettling to some people but I find it refreshing and pleasant. That's why when people ask me if I'm afraid for university or going somewhere new I'm say, no of course not. It's like a breath of fresh air to think that you know absolutely no one where you're going.

It's not like I want to move to new places and drastically change myself and be someone new (because I find people always so "oh you can be whoever you want to be in a new place") because I feel like you change gradually as a person, it would just be fake if you changed your personality just because you could. Once you've been in the same place for a long time (whatever that may be from person to person) you get in this groove, the way you act with your friends, who you talk to , what you think about people. When you go somewhere new you have this 'blank slate' that everyone talks about. But the slate isn't entirely blank. You still have all your memories and feelings from the places you've been before that change your view of the place you go next. So maybe the reason it feels so refreshing and comfortable to go to a place where no one knows you is your unique view of that place based on where you've been before.

It's 1:30am sorry if this doesn't make sense.

1 comment: