Sunday, August 14, 2011

BEDA Day 14: Thoughts on flawlessness and media

There will be more to come on this subject as I have been thinking about it quite a bit lately but for now I'm just going to post a bit a of response to emilythebravee's video in which she talked about her flaws.

Emily mentioned that people were sending her messages saying things like “I want to be you” in her live show and even before she made this video I had been thinking a lot about this subject. Because I find that I’ve been seeing a lot on Tumblr as I’ve become more addicted (shamelessly wasting time on the internet) I’ve seen people tag posts of their favourite celebrities with the word “flawless”. Originally I thought, of it casually like “oh that’s cute or funny” or whatever but then I started thinking you know if people keep doing this maybe they actually think those people are perfect and fail to remember that they're just people too.
She mentioned in her video and I agree, I think its important that we remember that we are all flawed so we can focus on what makes us awesome. I have been thinking about this a lot lately (doing a lot of thinking apparently...) after I saw a Seventeen magazine book in Barnes & Noble that was apparently things that teen girls worry about and question. It made me think, do we really ask these questions naturally or does media tell us to. I remember discussing this in my government class a couple of years ago but I never really came to any definite conclusion. I don’t really know if there is one but the topic of flawlessness and viewers idolizing makers makes me really want to find one.
YouTube is different from television and movies and traditional media because we have to ability to show the viewers our flaws and extend beyond just makers and viewers. We can form friendships and have discussions and that’s what so awesome about this community. 

1 comment:

  1. So true. Seeing other people as flawless makes our own flaws seem so much worse.

    ReplyDelete