Friday, August 19, 2011

BEDA Day 19: The X-Files

As I have proclaimed by love of the nineties and sic-fi television previously on this blog you probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that I'm a fan of The X-Files. Now I'm not going to say I'm a hardcore fan who has watched the show from the beginning. I wasn't even a year old when the series began. The only sci-fi I was watching at a young age was E.T. (I went on the E.T. ride at Universal Studios recently and oh my gosh was it ever awesome- sure it's aimed to please small children but I was thoroughly entertained). Back to the topic at hand, I picked up The X-Files near the beginning of this year because my brother had watched some and recommended it. Also it was conveniently playing from the beginning on BBC America. As I do with television, I got into it fairly quickly. The leads are strong and determined and the subject matter is just plain awesome. You really can't go wrong with aliens, well unless you go wrong, then it sucks big time. But X-Files does everything right in the alien department (so far at least) so it was easy to get sucked in. Along with being generally awesome in the alien department this show does actually provide a good scare if you're watching it late enough at night. It's a good show to watch with a cup of hot chocolate.

Though I've only made it about half way through the second season the thing I love best about this show so far is it's themes, which are (not) coincidently it's catch-phrases as well. "The Truth Is Out There" I mean it just sounds pretty epic to begin with but that phrase definitely sets the tone for the show. The idea that there is always something more even when they don't have proof gives this eerily hopeful tone to the show. Mulder (David Duchovny) often repeats "I Want To Believe". This phrase adds to the hopeful thought that something is out there though they may never know what it is and society tells them otherwise. Deep Throat, a mysterious liaison who appears through out the first season, often says "Trust No One", which contradicts the hope that the other two themes convey. Mulder, though he is the believer and Scully the sceptic, even begins to repeat this phrase. These three lines are repeated often but no so much as to beat you over the head. Just enough to convey a message, which is to say, something is out there.

I was glad to find out that there are in fact nine seasons of this lovely show so I should be kept entertained for a while.

1 comment:

  1. I keep meaning to start watching the X-Files but then I always forget before I actually get around to it. Maybe I'll remember this time.

    ReplyDelete