Monday, May 7, 2012

Cinco de Mayo featuring Ingrid Michaelson

This past Saturday I turned 19 years old. Is that old? I feel like I should feel older, but then I came home from Atlanta yesterday and went over to my best friend's house to play Assassin's Creed. You can be the judge of my maturity growth I suppose.

When my mother asks me what I want for my birthday I usually have no idea but this year I knew months in advance. It just so happened that Ingrid Michaelson was playing in ATL on Cinco de Mayo (for only $20.00, what's that all about?!) so naturally I asked for tickets. Now, I could write a whole blog post about my love for Ingrid Michaelson and her lovely music but alas, I've already done that. Let me just say that she did not disappoint and she and her band put on a brilliant show. Her band mates were all lovely and talented (not surprisingly), as was the opening act, Scars on 45.

Aside from being a great musician she also doubles as a stand up comedian so that was great. She treated us to an anecdote about her experience having to lip-sync for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. She informed us that she was all dolled up (apparently with hair extensions: there was a long rant about how she felt somehow connected to the woman who's hair she was wearing) and stuck on a float that advertised Hamburger Helper. Additionally, there were some fans in the audience who made a poster that said "Do it Us Now" in reference to her song titled "Do It Now". She promptly pulled the sign up on stage and proceeded to reword the lyrics of her song to fit the sign.

We had great seats so I got a few good pictures.




My favourite tracks from her new album Human Again include "This is War", "Always You" and "Blood Brothers".

I'm going to make a separate post as a sort of "birthday haul" type thing, because as well as tickets for this concert I got a few books and a couple articles of clothing. I'm just waiting for one of the pieces of clothing to come in the mail. So look forward to that~

Books read: 1 
Films seen: 3 (and a half, I have to finish watching Naked Gun with my brother)
Hikes taken: 1
Song Recommendation: Say Goodbye by Norah Jones (Her new album Little Broken Hearts is quite a gem you should just listen to the whole thing) 

1 comment: