Tuesday, July 10, 2012

After the Fall: A Collection of Musical Recommendations

Apparently I'm really good at not blogging for extended periods of time. This is partially due to the fact that I was in France for two weeks (haul post to come) and partially because I'm a lazy fool. However in the the time that I haven't been blogging I've been buying and listening to a lot of new music including Norah Jones' new(ish) album Little Broken Hearts

Let me first say that I'm a long time Norah Jones fan ever since my mum bought Come Away With Me upon its release back in 2002. Jones has definitely come along way in ten years (OH GOD, I FEEL OLD) and Little Broken Hearts is a perfect example of her changing and maturing style. Produced by the infamous Danger Mouse (of Broken Bells and Gnarls Barkley) this album has a indescribable edge to it that hasn't existed in any of her previous work. I for one and am in love with it. It feels like this is everything her last release The Fall, was building up to. If you just want to dip your toes in before purchasing the whole album I suggest giving "Travelin' On" and "Say Goodbye" a listen. 

After seeing Ingrid Michaelson's show back in May I've decided to give her bandmates music a listen, and I wasn't disappointed in the least. Her two supporting ladies Bess Rogers and Allie Moss are completely able to stand on their own, despite their part-time job as back-up for Ms. Michaelson. Their style, as expected, can be compared to the likes of Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Barielles (the "female singer-songwriter" gang).  I'd recommend listening to Allie Moss' song "Melancholy Astronautic Man" and Bess Rogers' "Anchor". 

Lastly, The Temper Trap has recently released their self-titledsophomore album. I have to admit was a bit hesitant because they had success with Conditions (thanks partly to 500 Days of Summer) and I wasn't sure it's uniqueness could be revamped. I was wrong, I've been hooked by the first two singles I've heard off the album and look forward to buying the whole album, one I acquire dollars. Sidenote: money is the worst, especially when it comes to buying music when I get into buy all the things mode. If you're interested in expanding your Temper Trap library I recommend "Trembling Hands" and "Need Your Love".  

I don't think I need to put another song recommendation in this post do I? Nah. 

Additoinally, I've re-fallen in love with Florence + The Machine's Ceremonials. It was inevitable. *dances uncontrollably to Never Let Me Go*

Books read: 5? GOD I'M SO BAD AT THIS *stares at pile of started but unfinished books on bed-side table*
Hikes taken: 6 (unless you're counting all the unofficial hiking I did on vacation in France, if so, 83247238)
Films seen: 16ish

No comments:

Post a Comment