Sunday, August 12, 2012

Closing Ceremonies

There's something pretty spectacular about people coming together to take part in a worldwide celebration of athleticism and culture. I am not even an athletic person, aside from skiing on occasion, but I always feel myself drawn to watch the games. Partly national pride, partly world pride. World pride, is that a thing? It is now.

I'm currently watching the closing ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympic Games with my family. The show is just fantastic so far, and a perfect wrap up to the games. I particularly loved their journey through British music history, because they have so much to show case (that Spice Girls reunion: A +++). Rio's introduction to their turn with the games is making me eager to for 2016. But it's strange because when I think about the next summer olympics my mind immediately jumps to "where will I be when I'm watching them in four years from now?". I'll have an undergrad degree under my belt (hopefully). I'll be twenty-three (OH GOD). Where will I be living? Will I have a significant other? That's another fantastic thing about the olympic games is it almost acts as a marker for  a stage in your life. For instance, I remember that during the Salt Lake City Olympics I was in grade three and I remember learning where Utah was on the map. There are many great things about the olympics but I see it as briefly claiming time as well as preserving it.

As the London Games come to a close I look forward to 2016 (and even before that, Sochi in 2014) and looking back on London and remember the summer of 2012.

Song recommendation: Bright Lights and Cityscapes by Sara Bareilles

No comments:

Post a Comment