Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Commence BEDA 2012

This time last year I started my first BEDA (or Blog Every Day August) adventure. Since last year was such a success I've decided to give it a second go-around. If anything my blogging is inconsistent, and BEDA helps me, rather, forces me, to "get er done" for lack of a better phrase. Writing has always been a useful tool for me I'm just horrible and actually making myself doing it. The fact that BEDA is a challenge just makes my subconscious ring with the words "You don't think I can do it I'LL PROVE YOU WRONG." So here's to a hopefully second round of BEDA, two years running!

Every post will contain a musical recommendation, as per usual. No tracking of books, films, or hiking though. There are pages for the books and films but as for the hiking it's pretty well impossible to hike in The South in August without dying. I might go on one or two but I don't think it's going to be very extensive.

Now that housekeeping is out of the way, today's topic is The End. Not the concept of impending doom or the last novel from A Series of Unfortunate Events, but a flash game I found on the internet recently (courtesy of Tumblr). Now, I'm not one for online gaming usually but this gem was just too good to pass up. It's based on this unique concept where at the end of every level you are asked a thoughtful philosophical or moral question which you must answer "yes" or "no" and then enter the respective door. I was hooked on the premise alone but it gets better. With each question that you answer the game maps your responses on a grid that lines you up next to other famous thinkers and icons. I'm less interested in the game-play (though it is very well designed) and more drawn towards the concept of the grid. It devices the cartesian plane into Mystic, Awakener, Crusader, and Truth-Teller with dots scattering the board of icons such as Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud and Amelia Earhart. I'm about half-way through the game, but as of right now it has me pinned in between Rosa Parks and Emmeline Pankhurst. I love it because you learn a little bit about yourself and GASP have to think a little bit before the end of each level. Two thumbs up.

Song of the day: Ships in the Night by Mat Kearny ft. Ingrid Michaelson (I've had this on repeat all day, shamelessly)

No comments:

Post a Comment